City Of Flagstaff Takes On Global Warming
By Elisha Dorfsmith
With an even more impressive than usual display of fear mongering and scare tactics, the Flagstaff City Council agreed to push ahead with a resolution to deal with global warming over the next 88 years. Woodson and Overton were the only council members opposed to moving forward.
The resolution will cover the following areas:
1. Build, sustain and leverage local and regional partnerships.
2. Identify vulnerable populations.
3. Institutionalize an incremental resiliency review structure into City decisions and operations.
4. Incorporate flexibility of design into infrastructure development needs.
5. Prioritize proactive education.
6. Integrate resource scarcity; and climate-related risk and uncertainty into all City planning.
7. Allocate municipal resources necessary to adapt the City’s physical design and operations.
Council member Al White went so far as to suggest that if the resolution did not move forward Flagstaff could fade away as other civilizations have in the past. Vice Mayor Barotz pleaded with dissenting council members to understand the urgency of global warming. She begged them to read an alarming new book on climate change that she had recently finished.
The final version of this resolution will be on the June 5, 2012 agenda.
You can read more about this resolution here:
During the Council meeting, Mayor Presler attacked Councilman Woodson on her facebook page (click to enlarge).